The 3PAR Simulator is a VMware based group of VM’s that provides a virtualised 3Par system, the features normally provided by the hardware components, including the ASIC, HBA and enclosure are emulated in software. You interact with it in exactly the same way you would a physical 3Par i.e. via the HP 3PAR Management Console or remote CLI. Most of the major features including AO, DO, snapshots, exporting virtual volumes and even remote replication (if you have 2 instances of the simulator) are supported.
The simulator consists of 3 VM’s, 2 of the VM’s represent the nodes in the cluster whilst the third simulates the enclosures.
The minimum system resources required for each VM are:
- One virtual CPU (single core)
- Three virtual NICs
- 2GB RAM
- 50GB disk space (full or thin-provisioned)
- Plus VMware ESXi 5.x or VMware Workstation 9 or 10
Setup is fairly straight forward as the VM’s come in the OVF format and just need importing into VMware ESXi or WorkStation. I have covered the high level steps to install the simulator to give you a feel for the process below, for detailed step by step instructions refer to the release notes that come with the simulator.
- Cluster Nodes Installation – First you deploy two VM’s from an OVF, these VM’s will act as the controller nodes of the virtualised 3Par system
- Enclosure Node Installation – Next deploy another VM again from OVF that simulates the enclosures. You can have up to 48HDDs across 4 cages
- Network Configuration – Each of the simulator VM’s has 3 NICs. The first NIC will be the IP you use to manage the device when using the management console or CLI. The second you will not need unless you are using RCIP. The third will be connected to a local private network allowing the 3 VM’s to talk to each other
Once you have the VM’s installed the next high level steps are:
- Power on all the VM’s
- Create cages and disks – Connect to the Enclosure VM and choose how many shelves to create and start esd daemon. The default choices are:
- 1 cage, 24 HDDs 1 DCN1 cage with 24 FC drives
- 4 cages, 48 HDDs 1 DCN1 cage with 6 FC drives and 6 SSD drives 2 DCS2 cages with 6 FC drives and 6 SSD drives each
- 1 DCS1 cage with 6 NL drives and 6 SSD drives
- 4 cages, 24 HDDs 1 DCN1 cage with 6 FC drives 3 DCS2 cages with 6 FC drives each
- 4 cages, 48 HDDs 1 DCN1 cage with 6 FC drives and 6 SSD drives 3 DCS2 cages with 6 FC drives and 6 SSD drives each
- Assign Serial Number – Connect via console to both controller VM’s assign serial numbers and then reboot
- OOTB procedure – Configured by logging into the first controller node and providing the following details; a system name, IP address information, NTP Server (optional), DNS Server (optional
- Install Management Software – If you don’t already have them installed install the CLI and Management Console to allow you to connect and manage the virtualised 3Par
- Get the look – Finally spray laptop black and yellow 😉
For a more up to date article and to find the link for downloading the simulator go here.